Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 2 -- Online Learning

I found this week's readings about online learning, tutorials, screencasts and screenshots to be quite interesting and informative. I feel that this kids of this generation are just constantly connected to a computer, taking in technology at an amazing rate. My five year old nephew knows how to work computers, iPads, and tvs better than I do! Sometimes when I get "confused" and ask for his help, he just looks at me and says, "Kim! don't you know anything? I mean, it's not THAT hard to figure out!" It's quite cute to watch.

Because this generation has grown up in the computer and internet environment, it would be reasonable to assume that they may be comfortable in the online learning setting. In the readings this week, I found that I enjoyed the Johnston article the most. The reason for this is because I took a number of online classes at my undergrad. During the course of these classes, I because quite comfortable with the online module that was used, Blackboard. I will say that Blackboard is much easier to navigate than the c-tools site, but maybe that's because I used it for three years, and I've only been using c-tools for a semester. Perhaps I will get used to the clunkiness of c-tools soon.

Anyway...in this article Johnson explains how surveys and studies were done to find out how well the students were able to learn and retain information through Blackboard, and how they felt about navigating the module. According to the findings, many of the students felt that the flexibility of the online learning environment worked well with their daily routines and was beneficial. There were some students who did feel that some face-to-face instruction was more helpful than just the online, and so there was a sort of blending course put in place, where some of the course work was done in person, and some was done via Blackboard.

Each student has different was of learning and best retaining the information presented to him/her. As instructors/librarians we must be able to account for each students learning curve and be able to adjust. In today's learning environment, online learning is more prevalent, and will most likely continue to become more and more important. As this trend continues, we must be able to keep up, and stay attuned to the changes so that we may best help students and patrons.

6 comments:

  1. I think your attitude regarding keeping up with changes in order to help patrons is exactly how all librarians should feel!
    You mention that "we must be able to account or each students learning cure and be able to adjust." What strategies do you suggest for accounting for students' learning curves (or, to put in other words, how do you figure out the best way to help a student)? I know there's no one, true answer to this question, but any strategies would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to hear your experiences with Blackboard and online classes. I've only taken one at an undergraduate level, and have mixed feelings about its success. The readings were not particularly interesting, yet they did cover the basics in the field, and the assignments and tests were fair and comprehensive. Some face to face classes are like that too. As to which is more effective? Isn't it as much a crapshoot as which instructor is teaching the class? I love a good lecturer and hope face to face courses remain the norm. But I can see how online courses are a viable solution for some students in some situations. I hope there's room for both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe how we feel about the younger generations' technology skills is how previous librarians feel about our generation. I think, however, we now have a better advantage than the generation before us. As kids/teenagers we had some exposure to computers, early internet, etc. so we have some background for upcoming technologies. Older generations of librarians went from a totally paper society to technological devices. I must admit I’d rather be in my shoes now trying to learn and adapt to library science than 15-20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at the same part of your blog as Emily, I agree that as librarians we must be looking at how all patrons learn and adjust to that. I think that will be the hardest part of librarianship/teaching for me. I sometimes forget that the best way for me to learn does not necessarily apply to everyone. This is especially the case with online learning. I have assumed that just because online learning is not the best for me, it is not a great choice for anyone, and this is not true at all. As you mentioned, I really need to work on keeping up with new trends to better help and reach future patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim- Ah the great Blackboard. I had some of that too, but it was never fully online, only... Well, used how CTools is right now. I can't really remember how I felt about it though, but I do know I would've been overwhelmed if it was all online. it's still a shock to me that so much is online. I think you're right, the next generation will be way more comfortable in an online setting and the training is necessary for the facilitators of learning to be ready to adapt. But then, that's pretty much how it always is right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I concur that is important to keep different learning options available for students who do better in an online or a face-to-face environment. One thing I wanted to add regarding the "digital natives" is that even they often know less about technology than we might expect them to or than they might think they do. Susan can attest to the difficulties most elementary students in the school where we did our observation practicum had when using computers. I think it is really important that librarians remember that our students/patrons may be fluent users of technology but not effective (or ethical or efficient, etc.) users of technology and information. Even if we are not digital natives, we know (or are learning) a lot that kids today haven't learned. We may struggle to use an iPad, but (with the help of SI courses like this one) we will be better equipped to understand how iPads and other technologies and tools can make a significant and positive difference.

    ReplyDelete