Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ethics & Workshops

The code of ethics pages for the ALA and the Medical Library Association where both short, sweet, and to the point. I think it's a good idea to read the code of ethics as in intro for the ethics lecture/discussion. And both of these pages were a good base for the Lenker article about ethics in the library workplace. Reading through this article was very helpful for me. All of my past library experience has been in a tiny tiny seminary library. Well, seminaries are associated with churches...so all the patrons I worked with were studying to become ministers...and this may seem stereotypical towards ministers...but ethical issues rarely came up in my workplace.  So to read through this article and see some of the issues of ethical questionability (that's not a word, but you get my point)  that could potentially arise, it was slightly scary to me. I don't know if I would be able to handle it. Not saying I'm not ethical, because I am, at least in my opinion, but some situations could get dicey.

The Mosley article was also an interesting read. I find that I can get more out of a class lecture when I have some relevant readings under my belt before hand. I appreciate that the assigned readings really do relate to class. Anyway, the Mosley article about workshops gave a lot of good ideas about how to design an effective and interesting workshop that will benefit those who take part in it. This makes me look forward to the one-shot-workshops we're going to be doing soon.

Should be fun.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting that so many professional organization have a code of ethics. What if you belong to more than one organization? I know they are just guidelines, but trying to remember and follow them all could be information overload. (I just had to add some 500 in there).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read many codes of ethics other than the one for ALA, but I would hope that they are mostly similar. I would think that a lot of ethical guidelines are universal.

    ReplyDelete