Sunday, April 17, 2011

Last Blog Post!

Looking back on webinars -- they were all quite interesting and informative. I did reference my group's webinar in last week's post, even though we weren't required to write one. I figured it would be easier for me to write about it the day we did it, instead of a week later when the experience wasn't so fresh in my mind. When it comes to the webinars I attended (4 of them), I really like the diversity in topics that were covered. It seemed to me, for all the webinars that I attended, that the presenters were all quite well prepared.

Back in my sophomore English class in undergrad the final paper's topic had to be what we wanted to be our final career...Kinda like 500, blech. Anyway, that English paper that I wrote was about Library 2.0 and the Young Adult patrons in a public library. It was interesting for my professor to read considering I was at a strictly business school. But she was cool with it because her husband had just graduated from Library school. :) She even had him read it to make sure I had all my bases covered. I went searching around for that paper when I started the readings for this week to see how I could change it to be more aligned with the new technologies that have emerged in libraries since 2007...unfortunately, I couldn't find it. I know I have a hard copy around somewhere in storage, but that's 150 miles away.

I feel that if I were to rewrite that paper now, all three of the readings for this week would be cited numerous times. I appreciated how the Fontichiaro (and the Blowers and Reed)  article(s) point out that librarians -- and teachers -- should keep up-to-date with new 2.0 tools and technologies and then share their knowledge and skills with other librarians and teachers. This is going to become crucial as my classmates and I head out into the professional workplace in -- hopefully -- the next couple of years. We're also going to have to share our skills and knowledge with others in our workplace, and above all, with patrons. The Semedini article was similar to the others seeing as how it dealt with different technologies and how to deal with problems that cropped up using 2.0 technology. Overall, I really liked the readings for this week, because they talk about issues that will be very relevant for my future career.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, you're the one who already has a future job at a seminary library, right? (If not, the rest of the comment will not be relevant). How do you imagine using web 2.0 tools within that particular field?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh cool that you knew that early. And yeah, how relevant. It probably takes some stress off all the 500 (if that's possible) to know that you have that lined up, and now have more skillz to apply to it.

    ReplyDelete