Sunday, April 3, 2011

#Twitter

What can I say? Twitter is slightly annoying but also a slight necessity? Hmmm, yup, I think that's how I feel about the site. Kinda annoyed, but kinda intrigued. I suppose it was a good idea to have the class get a Twitter account as an assignment, otherwise I most certainly would have refrained from it all together.

I have discovered that I feel Twitter is more of a time-sucker than Facebook. I really don't understand the point of just seeing other peoples statuses that are under 140 characters. I know a lot of people love twitter because of the job-posting possibilities, and all that other fun jazz. I actually did link my Twitter account to my Facebook account, so that my Twitter statuses would go to Facebook automatically. And some of the features of Twitter, such as the retweeting was fun. I did seem to get caught up in some conversations -- with Ayla. :P

I can see how Twitter is invaluable in the library world, because everyone involved can stay up-to-date (by the second) with everything that is happening in the industry. Book recommendations can reach countless people in a matter of minutes. News travels so fast over Twitter, that it's mind boggling. Maybe in a few years, I will come to like Twitter, but for now, I just really don't have too much of an interest in the site. I feel like Facebook is more useful to keep in touch with the people in my network. I do realize that Twitter is a good way to meeting people outside your own personal network, with comes in handy when it comes to the job-postings. So, that is the positive side I see in Twitter. And of course, #TeamHAAK!

#filethisloc

4 comments:

  1. Dang my computer froze and I lost my comment! Let's try this again.

    I think Twitter is useful to a library when used often and appropriately. I follow the AADL and my hometown library. The AADL tweets multiple times a day usually about events happening at the library. In a way, it acts a a reminder for followers. My hometown library only tweets a few times a week and it sometimes gets lost in my feed. I think when used correctly Twitter can and will benefit a library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Kinda annoyed, but kinda intrigued" pretty much sums up my feelings too. And you're right, Twitter is very good for staying current. And I always like book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a great point, Kim. That Facebook is better for connecting with people you already know, and Twitter is better for connecting with those you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but your blog entry made me realize that Twitter's usefulness to me is inversely proportional to how many people/institutions I follow: the more tweets I have pouring in from a variety of sources, the less likely it is that I'll notice a particularly relevant one. Maybe I should be paring down my list.

    ReplyDelete